Kodi is a free open source media center for playing Music, Movies, Games, Pictures and lot more. It allows its users to experience the most out and support to play many audio files, video formats, image formats and other media extensions. Kodi had the largest of contribution with nearly 450 software developers and 100+ translators included to it. We guess this is one that software that brings the home theater experience on to a simple PC. It encourages a wide variety of 3rd-party plugins and perfectly works well with home networks and public internet.
Since Kodi being open source its source code distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) with tax-exempt registered for US Organization. Owned by a global free software community of unpaid volunteers.
Finally, the day came when Kodi got its official trademark on November 10, 2015, with its renaming from XMBC on August 1, 2014. Kodi Users can install many skins and themes from its interface. Kodi has its official Skins ‘Confluence’ with evolving variances designed for Large screen set-top box styles like televisions and ‘Touch’ for the smaller screen devices.
Kodi is an entertaining hub that is available for many operating systems being a native app for Android, iOS, Linux, MacOS, FreeBSD and Microsoft Windows. KodiUbuntu is a Standalone version for Ubuntu.
It’s written using C++ core and binary. The Python Scripts for add-ons developed by 3rd-Party developers.
Kodi does not provide any media file in it. The user can manually install the third party files on Kodi to visually enjoy streaming videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.
Kodi can play all your music including mp3, FLAC, Wav and WMA formats. It has a cue sheet, tag reading support and smart playlists for ultimate control of your music collection.
Kodi can do Movies too! Supporting all the main video formats including streamable online media, Kodi can import, browse and play your Movie collection with ease.
The TVShows library supports episode and season views with posters or banners, watched tags, show descriptions and actors. Great for keeping track of your progress.
Import pictures into a library and browse the different views, start a slideshow, sort or filter them all using your remote control.
Kodi allows you to watch and record live TV all from the GUI interface. It works with a number of popular backends including MediaPortal, MythTV, NextPVR, Tvheadend and much more.
The real power of Kodi comes from the vast selection of user created Add-ons that are available through our repositories. There are Add-Ons for popular web services, applications, and scripts. See which ones are currently available: Add-ons
Kodi allows you to complete change the whole appearance of the GUI interface. Due to the highly customizable skinning engine, you are almost able to change every aspect of its looks and feel. By utilizing different colors, images, and menu structures you can create a stunning interface that matches your needs as a complete entertainment or information platform. See which ones are currently available: Skins
With UPnP compatibility, you can stream to and from any other Kodi instances and play to other UPnP compatible devices in your home with ease. Have one UPnP master device and use other Kodi instances as clients which automatic keeps you watched status and library up-to-date. You can also now import from UPnP sources to synchronize your data inside instances of Kodi.
Interact with Kodi using its JSON-RPC based remote interface. This brings loads of possibilities for remote controls, web browsers and 3rd party tools to take Kodi to the next level.
With support for hundreds of remote controls, CEC-compatible TVs, or one of the new Smartphone and Tablet Apps, Kodi allows you to control your media your way.
Table of Content
- What is Kodi? What is XBMC?
- What can Kodi do?
- Where do I get all the movies and TV shows from?
- Is Kodi legal?
- What’s New in Kodi?
- Kodi Downloads
- How to install Exodus Addon for Kodi
- Kodi Apk for Android
- Kodi for iOS
- Kodi for Windows
- Kodi App Features
- How to Download Kodi Movie Library
- Top 5 reasons to use Kodi App
- Kodi Vs Plex
- Best Kodi Alternatives
What is Kodi? What is XBMC?
A: Kodi was formerly called as XMBC. Kodi® media center, formerly known as XBMC Media Center, is an award-winning free and open source cross-platform software media player and entertainment hub for digital media for HTPCs.Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a hard drive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons.
What can Kodi do?
A: Kodi can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: Kodi can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive.
Where do I get all the movies and TV shows from?
A: Kodi does not provide any online Streaming content or video services. It only helps to play or stream files on the local disk or a network. If any seller has advertised “Kodi” as a streaming service (kind advice avoid it). But Kodi provides some legal Third party add-ons which are endorsed by the company but beware of fraudulent or misleading sellers.
We will be updating tutorials and quick guides on how to use Kodi App, Kodi Addons frequently. Subscribe with us to know more about Kodi Download. We think we have covered the most about the topic here. Please let us know from the comments below if we had missed any.
Is Kodi legal?
Kodi is perhaps the best-known and most popular media streaming app at the moment. It used to be called XBMC and has been around for years.
Kodi is simply a media player, much like Windows Media Player or VLC. There is nothing illegal about downloading, installing and using software that plays video, music and other media. In short, then, Kodi is legal.
What’s controversial are Kodi add-ons. These are plug-ins which provide access to a massive library of TV box sets and films for free. These videos are hosted without the permission of the copyright holders.
You can install Kodi on your PC, laptop, tablet, even on an Amazon Fire TV, or any Android TV, but it’s dedicated set-top boxes – aka Kodi boxes – which have hit the headlines recently.
To clarify, there’s nothing illegal about buying hardware with Kodi pre-loaded. What the authorities are cracking down on is people selling boxes which are pre-configured to access copyrighted TV shows, films, and pay-per-view events for free.
Plenty of headlines suggests that users are being targeted by law enforcement, but in fact, there is no evidence of this. Organizations such as Fact are actively after those who sell and distribute copyrighted material or devices which allow people to access it.
What’s New in Kodi?
- Live TV and PVR (Personal Video Recorder)
- Added enhancement/improvements to PVR addon API (connection state change handling, asynchronous updates & more)
- Added support for navigation controls between EDL (commercial skipping) during PVR recordings playback
- Added support for sorting channels by ‘last played’ in the Channels window
- Added support to changing of timer type for existing timers to ex. change an episode timer to a series timer
- Added support to echo up important Status info to Timer Rules in the Timer rules window
- Added option to hide disabled timers in the Timer window
- Added support for ‘Edit timer’ & ‘Delete timer’ rules to context menu in the EPG & Search windows
- Added support to allow timer creation for EPG in recent past in the EPG window
- Added support to use timer logos depending on its state in the EPG window
- Added “ShowTimerRule” built in to allow key mapping for “add timer” dialog pre-filled for epg-based timer rule
- Added ‘recent recordings’ widget (core support and Estuary PVR home screen)
- Added vertical scrollbar to Guide window to allow channel navigation using the mouse (core support and Estuary change)
- Added support for JSON-RPC API sync PVR types fields with current implementation
- Improved playback of live streams as PVR Live TV streams can now be identified as “live”
- Improved Kodi’s Eventlog with extensions to PVR events for ‘create/delete timers, timer rules’, ‘start/stop recordings’
- Improved PVR Guide window performance, especially on first open
- Changes to have separate windows for ‘Timer Rules’ from ‘Timers’
- Changes to separate TV and Radio recordings in the Recordings window
- Changes to make ‘group items’ setting be persistent in the Recordings window
- Changes to recordings window which now respects “default select action” settings value
Get Kodi easily as it supports all kinds of platforms. Kodi functions include various television guides for home theater experience and game launcher on n-number of an operating system.
If you look into basic hardware requirements of Kodi it surpasses the traditional 2D style needing a capacity of 3D graphics hardware controller for all its rendering process.It runs on the most versatile and powerful framework which is resource efficient. Much of the software decoding done on the Full HD 1080p delivered by the CPU containing a dual-core 2GHz or yet faster CPU to avoid the jerky appearance in playback and increase smooth playback. All International and local language pack with a wide support over 75 languages with translations available to its files. Kodi has many add-ons for audio & video streaming plugins, skins & themes, weather forecasts, Widget scripts, Metadata extraction, Visualisations and much more. Kodi has extra value-added services.
As mentioned earlier, default improved versions skin type for Kodi Download is ‘Confluence’ and ‘Touch’. Besides, in Kodi, third party skins are present to the users to transform or shape their own customized skin designs.It supports all formats of digital media, network protocol clients, subtitle formats, metadata tags, and much more.For easy access a dedicated library support for all your video, images, and audio files.
The gaming experience is “More the Merrier” since it allows supports with built-in core features integrated with Game Console emulator. Allowing game add-ons with the JIT (Just-in-time) Emulator installation. Kodi supports simple remotes with extended remote for Android and iOS. Unofficial third-party developers are available to run on Android, iPhones, Linux and Windows 7/8/8.1/10.
If you’re wondering what’s in a name, Kodi versions have usually been named after popular sci-fi, comic book, or generally geeky references:
- XBMC v8.10 Atlantis (2008) – (Stargate)
- XBMC v9.04 Babylon (2009) – (Babylon 5)
- XBMC v9.11 Camelot (2009) – (King Arthur mythos)
- XBMC v10.0 Dharma (2010) – (Lost)
- XBMC v11.0 Eden (2012) – (Garden of…)
- XBMC v12.0 Frodo (2013) – (Lord of the Rings)
- XBMC v13.0 Gotham (2014) – (Batman – and my personal favourite)
- Kodi v14.0 Helix (2014) – (Helix TV show)
- Kodi v15.0 Isengard (2015) – (Tolkien)
- Kodi v16.0 Jarvis (2016) – (Tony Stark’s artificial intelligence)
- Kodi v17.0 Krypton (TBD) – (Superman’s home world)
How to install Exodus Addon for Kodi
To install the Exodus for Kodi, first go to System | Settings | Add-ons. There you’ll see a tab saying “Add source” – click on it.
- This method works by pointing whatever device you’re using to a web address, and then using it like a USB stick or removable hard drive. To install Exodus, we’re going to use the web address http://fusion.tvaddons.ag.
- Make sure you enter it into the textbox exactly as it is, or it won’t work – and then click “Done”.
- To make things easier in the long run, it’s worth naming the source something like “fusion” at this stage.
- Once that’s done, go back to your Kodi homescreen, and then navigate to System | Add-ons | Install from Zip file. A list of folders will appear, but we’re after the one we just added – which should be called “fusion”. Click on it, and then select a file called “xmbc-repos”.
- Click on the file marked “English,” and then select the file marked “repository.exodus.x.x.x.zip”.
- After waiting for a notification that should say “Add-on enabled”, select Install from Repository | Exodus repository | Video Add-ons | Exodus.
- All that’s left to do is click Install, and Exodus will be added to your Kodi installation.
Here we will be discussing how to Install Kodi on Android. Two ways to install Kodi app for android. Directly install Kodi from Google Play, a simple and easy way. The Second way, Through Kodi Apk file instructions, are provided below.
Automatic or Google Play installation:
- Visit the site from your android smartphone and click on the Google Play Store link.
- You will get a detailed way to get the installation on a new tab or window.
- Click on the Install button and wait for it to complete.
- After the installation is finished, Run Kodi Download on your Android device.
Manual Installation using Kodi APK file:
- Browse for the Settings app in your launcher menu. Navigate to the Security options.
- Scroll down, under the device administration, Tap on the Unknown sources to enable external installation.
- Get the Kodi APK from here.
- Now advance with the installation as instructed.
- Tap on the Kodi App to install from Package manager on Android.
- Tap on the ‘Next’ Button to read the permissions.
- Finally Press ‘Install’ to complete the process.
- Start Streaming the things you love on Kodi App.
Let’s get on with Kodi for iOS installation.
Kodi for iOS (iPhone & iPad)
Kodi Supports iOS 5.1 or higher versions to run on an iPhone devices.
Installing a Kodi requires a jailbreak but to avoid Kodi iPhone without jailbreak then follow the below steps.
- Cydia is required to install Kodi.
- On the Home screen, Tap on the Cydia icon.
- In the source, tap on edit then the add the URL of source repository ‘http://mirrors.kodi.tv/apt/ios/’.
- From the search results, select team Kodi.
- Then click on ‘All packages, and after that on Kodi iOS.
- Click install to confirm.
- Once the installation is complete exit Cydia.
- Now use your Kodi app for iPhone.
Yes, this guide is sufficient to install with jailbreak but check out the Kodi App without jailbreak on any iOS Device.
This quick guide will get you through how to Download Kodi for PC or Computer, click on this link to install Kodi on PC.
- Go to the Official Website.
- Download the Kodi-16.1-jarvis.exe file.
- Open the file to get the installation dialogue box to proceed further.
- Once it is completed it will open Kodi Homepage.
- Immediately you can start using Kodi for PC.
Kodi has quite a lot of add-ons collection for watching free movies and streaming live music. Popular Kodi Addons that are available are Exodus Kodi, Fusion, Phoenix and much more. Here is a quick tip to install Fusion on Kodi.
- Open Kodi, System->File Manager.
- Select Add source and choose option None.
- Paste the Url: http://fusion.tvaddons.ag and enter a name ‘Fusion’ then click OK.
- Now go to System->Add-ons-> Install zip from the file
- Select the Fusion.
- Click and install all the versions concurrently.
- A notification is received that once the Add-on is enabled.
Once the installation is complete enjoy the experience of Home theater and gaming. A software which is available for multiple platforms and operating system. You can get Unlimited access to download movies and images with no hassle and bandwidth delays. The Streaming is also quite a catch.
In addition, Kodi media center, GUI (Graphical User Interface) is better. Since the Kodi apk is available for many devices including Smart TV’s, Set-top boxes, Digital signage etc., it gives out a high quality and High definition image and video formats. The ease of access for browsing is achieved through the remote controls for Kodi Softwares. Know about Some of the official Kodi remote controls and Unofficial Kodi remotes. User-friendly which lets the users navigate through the software at a comfort.
Kodi App Features
The Listed below are the features for Kodi of PC, Android, and iPhone.
- Kodi supports a wide variety of media formats such as Videos, Music, Podcasts from the internet. Kodi Apk allows streaming from the popular online services such as Amazon Prime, Youtube, Spotify, Crackle, Pandora etc.,
- Kodi Audio has the capability to play Mp3, MIDI, AC3, WAV, NSF with high definition and CD/DVD from the internal inbuilt DVD-ROM. It has an audio visualization and screensavers for Mp3 karaoke with audio-video playlist and images slideshow functions.
- The Video clients present on the Kodi for PC Standard resolution of 720p,1080i and 1080p HD res. The beauty of using Kodi native live tv has a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) which lets the users Video Capture and playback from the external hard disk.
- As mentioned earlier it supports 74 languages with the subtitle translators. So some of the subtitle formats supported are SRT, SUB, SMI etc.,
- If you are bored and browsing for the movies and you get the cool posters of the movies stored on your devices. It’s very simple. Kodi meta databases include some of the Web Scraping Sites such as IMDb, TheMovieDB etc., Kodi gives you the Fanart, Movie posters, genres, titles, actors, and directors.
- Kodi and Chromecast work hand-in-hand alongside each other. It brings the Theater atmospheric experience while watching the movies using Kodi App.
- A Retroplayer which is best fitted inside the Kodi having a Games library. It also assists with joysticks with the fast, portable and lightweight game/system emulator. Some supporting devices are PlayStation, Nintendo, Game boy, Sega etc.,
- The Kodi user community lets out lots and lots of skins that are customizable easily. The Graphical User Interface lets anyone install it and enhance the user experience.
How to Download Kodi Movie Library
Top 5 reasons to use Kodi App
- Kodi APK has the solid Community support.
- The Number of Tv add-ons is growing day-to-day.
- Compatibility with lots of devices and platforms.
- Integration of Kodi with any other open source software made easy with the User-friendly Interface.
- Wide Variety of Skins and Themes are available for Vivid customizations.
Kodi Vs Plex
- Kodi: Formerly called Xbox Media Center (or XBMC for short), Kodi is an open source project dedicated to building powerful, customizable home theater software. With years of development behind it, there are a ton of add-ons and skins that can add new functionality beyond what’s already included.
- Plex: Plex began life as a fork of XBMC, but it’s become so distinct you’d hardly notice. This project aims to make home theater software dead simple for everyone. It allows you to sync and stream all of your media to any device no matter where you are.
Best Kodi Alternatives:
Yes, We read your mind. we always search for the alternatives to everything. You might be wondering for Kodi Alternatives here are some,
Standing in the line of top alternatives for Kodi, Plex tops the list. Plex indeed has quite a collection of channels, which helps to stream on news and technology.
Cons: Contains Proprietary software components added to open source software.
Universal Media Server
With a simple UI and setup is easily done. Universal Media Server is a java based system which supports streaming to a huge variety of devices and can transcode most of the audio, video, and image formats without any configuration.
Cons: Very less platform availability.
Emby has a live TV functionality and manages DVR recordings. Additionally, Emby arrives with a feature like parental controls and web-based tools to edit metadata, search subtitles, and more.
Cons: It needs Premium function to unlock cinema mode and backup options.